What is visual storytelling?
Did you know that the human brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than text? Visuals are a powerful way for brands to increase awareness, engagement, trust and loyalty amongst the Instagram community.
Visual storytelling is the process of telling a story about your company or brand through the use of visual content. It is about giving you brand a personality or voice in order to engage consumers and find mutual grounds to understand each other. Rather than just showing Instagram users images of your products, visual storytelling allows you to go further and give users a behind the scenes look into your company.
How to use Instagram to tell your story
There are three main factors to ensure when creating an Instagram story:
- Do you have a theme for your story?
Providing themes around your story is an important step. Whilst you might have an overall company story, it may be successful for your brand to use different themes or campaigns while still adhering to the overall company story. Themes can be based around a number of different things including different product/service offerings, using one particular filter or style of image and so on.
- Are your visuals captivating?
The best visuals to use on Instagram are ones that:
- Reflect your brand and show viewers who you are
- Are well-crafted and of high quality (hint: use filters and effects)
- Are interesting or artistic
Regardless of the subject or the content you are posting, ensure that the visuals you use are engaging for your audience. The more people associate with your brand the more likely they are to engage with your content by liking, commenting, sharing etc.
- Do you have engaging story lines?
Make sure that your visuals have a strong story line. Posting a witty caption or keyword phrase is important to ensure that your audience understands what your content is all about. A few key hints:
- Keep it simple (don’t overcomplicate it)
- Use hashtags (up to 3-4 is usually best)
- Use proper grammar (check spelling etc. before posting)
Business type: Retail Fashion Brand
Themes: Focused around the seasons (summer, autumn, winter, spring) as well as the products/ranges released in each season
Visual content examples:
- Bloggers/thought leaders wearing fashion brands clothing/accessories
- Visually appealing flat lays of brands products
- Visuals related to the seasons (E.g. snow outside the office in winter, summer fashion festival)
Story Lines: Story lines related to visual content as well as linking back to the seasons/products
Visual Storytelling Best Practices
- Use visuals: Images and videos on your Instagram profile
- Tell a story: Give your brand a voice and tell a story
- Create themes which coordinate with your story
- Captivate your audience with well-crafted content
- Use story lines to further engage your followers
If you would like help with your visual storytelling for Instagram, Click Here and someone from360dmg will contact you