The only way to run a successful business is to have a game plan; a solid strategy. It is rare to find a business that has made a conscious choice to not develop a strategy. For the most part, misconceptions and lack of foresight are the reasons businesses do not get strategic.
Some common marketing misconceptions include:
- A marketing plan is only for big business. It is true that large organisations require more strategising than small businesses, but this does not mean that a small business will not reap great rewards by planning their online marketing strategies. A big business will also be better able to use its resources to develop such strategies, but small companies also need to map out their strategies so as to determine a roadmap for success. This is invaluable information that should never be overlooked.
- My business is data driven and therefore it does not need a plan. Small businesses have the ability to be flexible and respond to changing environments very quickly, but flexibility is no excuse for changing directions whenever the wind blows. Opportunities that arise can be measured against your plan in order to determine whether it is profitable to change course, or ride the tide till things settle down.
- I have limited time as it is. Are you sure it’s impossible to find some extra time to chart your future? If this can't be made a priority, then I hate to say it, but it probably isn’t a good idea to be in business in the first place.
The key benefits of a Facebook marketing strategy to your business
It makes sense.
When developing a strategy, you map out all the factors that could affect your ability to operate effectively and decide what your priorities are.
It enables better decision making.
As you have determined what factors are likely to affect your Facebook marketing plan, it will be easier to make decisions when faced with challenges. This is much easier to do when you have a clear objective, budget and time scale.
It integrates long term planning with short term goals.
Ideally, a marketing plan should run for an extended period of time. You should be prepared to make changes during the life cycle of your ads so as to attain the goals you set yourself. Having a plan gives you something to aim for.
Facebook Marketing techniques that will ensure your success
Specify your mission
Your mission will explain what you’re all about and why your company exists. Explain your motivation; how is your business fulfilling a desire, or are you solving people’s problems?
Use the 6 C’s to realise Facebook success
- Clarity: make it clear what your offer is.
- Content: share stories that are of interest to your audience.
- Connect: create a relationship. Listen to what your audience is saying and tailor your products or services to their needs.
- Campaign: use Facebook promotion tools
- Convert: you should not just build a community, but work to convert those leads into actual sales.
- Culture: your page is a reflection of who you are, and what your company is. Manage your community, respond promptly and be mindful of the type of content you share.
Use shareable content
Keep content short, varied and respond to comments. Ask questions and make things fun for your audience to ensure that they keep coming back to your page.
Don’t be afraid to Experiment, and then track your results
There is no universal Facebook marketing plan template for all businesses. Each business has unique needs and finding the most suitable way to fill these needs will take some trial and error. Vary the times, type and frequency of your posts to find what is optimal for you and your selected demographic.
Fan pages of big brands are a great place to learn what works and what doesn’t. Study the ads, calls to action and the type of content they share to get an understanding of how the big boys play.
When marketing on Facebook, the goal should not be to be a professional at Facebook, but to be good at business because of the opportunities that Facebook provides. A well thought out strategy is the first step to achieving this. It takes time to see results but if you stick to the plan, results are all but guaranteed.
For more information on how you can best use Facebook to leverage business, download your free copy of our ebook 'How to turn Facebook Fans into Paying Customers' by clicking the link below: